Get ready with our Back to School checklist
Aug. 4, 2022
We are excited to welcome students back to school on Wednesday, Aug. 31. Each student is important to us, and we look forward to making connections with all families this coming school year. To help you have a successful start to the year, we are providing a Back to School checklist with this email.
Information about school-specific events and schedules will be sent later this month by your student’s school.
School offices reopen Aug. 8
School offices will reopen with limited hours starting Monday, Aug. 8. Hours will be expanded over the next few weeks:
- Aug. 8-11 (Monday through Thursday): Middle/High 7:30 -11:30 a.m.; Primary 8:00 a.m.–noon.
- Aug. 15-18 (Monday through Thursday): regular school hours.
- Beginning Aug. 22: Monday through Friday, regular school hours.
Complete the Annual Student Update
All families are required to complete the Annual Student Update every year before school begins on Aug. 31. To complete the student update, please log in to Skyward (Family Access) and click “2022-23 Annual Student Update” (do not select New Student Online Enrollment) on the navigation bar in the left column of the web page. Instructions with screenshots are available online. If you do not remember your password, you can click “Forgot your Login/Password” on the login page to have it sent to your email address that is on file with the district. If you do not have a login, please call your school office. The Student Update provides an opportunity to fill out required forms online and ensures the district has correct contact information for families.
Free and reduced meal applications
Schools nationwide have enjoyed free school meals for all students for the last two years. The USDA has ended this program, and eligible families MUST apply in order to qualify for free and reduced meals in 2022-23. Beginning Aug. 31, students who are not approved for free/reduced meals will be charged according to the district’s nutritional services policy. An updated meal price list is available on the district website. Families should complete a Free and Reduced application through Skyward prior to the start of the school year to ensure continuation of eligibility. Students who qualify for free/reduced meals also might be eligible for other reduced fees and benefits if they complete the Consent to Share form. Students who previously used Consent to Share to take advantage of no-fee sports and other activities must complete a new meal application AND Consent to Share before registering for fall sports.
Back to School Checklist
- First day of school: Wednesday, Aug. 31 (Kindergartners check your Smart Start schedule for information about the first few days of school. The first full day of kindergarten is Sept. 6).
- School start/end times (except Wednesdays):
- High Schools and CAM Academy: 7:55 a.m.–2:25 p.m.
- Middle schools: 8:10 a.m.–2:40 p.m. (Amboy: 7:45 a.m.–2:15 p.m.)
- Primary schools: 9:10 a.m.–3:40 p.m.
- Wednesday is typically a one-hour late start and begins Sept. 14.
- 2022-23 calendars are online.
- Class schedules and teacher assignments are released by your school, usually the week before school starts.
- Watch for Back to School event information from your school.
- Complete the 2022-23 Annual Student Update in Skyward to update your student’s information.
- If your transportation needs have changed since last year, you can opt in or out of bussing during the Annual Student Update process in Skyward. Bus routes will be published on the district website one week before school begins.
- Apply for Free/Reduced meal benefits: If your family qualifies for free or reduced price meals, you may be eligible for decreased fees to participate in other school programs. School meals are free for any student who qualifies for Free/Reduced this year. Families that do not apply and/or are not eligible will be charged for meals.
- Before/after school care will be offered at primary schools by Right At School.
- Get school supplies. Contact your school or the Family and Community Resource Center if your family needs assistance.
- Health and safety:
- Please keep your child home if they have symptoms of illness. See our Health and Attendance brochure and the COVID-19 Student Symptom Flow Chart for more information.
- The district will not have a COVID-19 testing site this school year, and is exploring options for providing access to rapid COVID-19 test kits to families of students experiencing symptoms. Confirm that your child meets Washington State immunization requirements by the first day of school. See 2022 Free & Low-cost Back to School Immunization Clinics flier.
- Technology checkout
- 6-12th graders who need a Chromebook should go to their school media center.
- Monitor Chromebook use with the Go Guardian parent app.
Middle school sports return with girls basketball and co-ed cross country on Aug. 31. Registration opens through Family ID starting Aug. 10. Students must have a sports physical before practices begin (physical clearance is good for 24 months). More information and a list of expanded middle school sports options is available on the district website.
- The schedule for middle school sports in 2022-23 is:
- Season 1: Girls Basketball & Co-ed Cross Country, Aug. 31 – Oct. 14
- Season 2: Girls Volleyball & Boys Soccer, Oct. 17 – Dec. 9
- Season 3: Boys Basketball & Girls Soccer, Jan. 30 – March 16
- Season 4: Co-ed Track, April 10 – May 25